The skin under our eyes is delicate and sensitive, requiring special attention and care.
Factors such as fewer oil glands, very thin skin and constant dynamic movements (like smiling and blinking) or rubbing your eyes make the under eye area prone to dryness, irritation, and premature aging.
In this blog, I am going to explore effective ways to look after your sensitive under eye skin, ensuring it stays nourished, protected, and radiant.
Let's dive into the world of gentle effective skincare!
- Cleanse with Care: When cleansing the sensitive under eye area, it's crucial to choose a mild, fragrance-free cleanser that won't strip away the natural oils or disrupt the skin's pH balance. Gently massage the cleanser using your fingertips or a soft cloth, and rinse with lukewarm water. Avoid harsh scrubbing or using rough towels to prevent irritation. My favourite – Micellar water
- Moisturize Regularly: Moisturizing is essential to maintain the hydration and elasticity of your under eye skin. Look for fragrance-free, hypoallergenic moisturizers that are specifically formulated for sensitive skin.
Choose products containing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin, which help retain moisture and strengthen the skin's protective barrier.
Apply the moisturizer using light tapping motions, avoiding excessive rubbing. – This is where my eye serum is so effective as it has hyaluronic acid in addition to probiotics to gently restore the skin barrier function. If you have eczema, use Cetaphil instead
- Sun Protection: Protecting your under eye area from the harmful effects of the sun is crucial for maintaining its health and preventing premature aging. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily, even on cloudy days. My Perfect 360 Eye protect SPF30, protects and calms skin around eyes. It improves the renewal of skin and reinforces its cell defense system. It brings moisturizing and whitening active ingredients and gives immediately after the application a lift and sooth effect.
Look for sunscreens that are gentle, non-comedogenic, and ophthalmologist-tested to minimize the risk of irritation.
Additionally, wearing sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat can provide extra protection from UV rays.
- Gentle Makeup Removal: Removing makeup from the under eye area requires a gentle touch. Choose fragrance-free, oil-free makeup removers or micellar waters that are specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Soak a cotton pad with the product and place it on your closed eye for a few seconds to allow the makeup to dissolve. Gently swipe the pad in a downward motion to remove the makeup, avoiding excessive rubbing or tugging.
- Say No to Irritants: Avoid using skincare products or cosmetics that contain potential irritants such as fragrances, alcohol, harsh preservatives, and artificial dyes. These ingredients can cause redness, stinging, and irritation in the sensitive under eye area. Opt for hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and fragrance-free products to minimize the risk of adverse reactions.
- Get Adequate Sleep: Adequate sleep is vital not only for overall well-being but also for maintaining healthy under eye skin. Lack of sleep can lead to puffiness, dark circles, and a dull complexion. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night, and consider using an extra pillow to elevate your head, which helps reduce fluid retention and puffiness.
- Be Mindful of Allergies: If you have known allergies, it's important to be mindful of potential triggers that can exacerbate under eye sensitivity. Common allergens include pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and certain foods. Minimize exposure to allergens, keep your living space clean, and consult an allergist if you suspect you have allergies affecting your under eye area.
Summary: Sensitive under eye skin requires extra care and attention to maintain its health and radiance. By following a gentle skincare routine, protecting from sun damage, removing makeup properly, avoiding irritants, getting enough sleep, and being mindful of allergies, you can help keep your under eye skin nourished and protected. Remember, consistency is key when it comes to skincare, so embrace these tips